Novel: Hua Hua You Long, 花花遊龍
Author: Xing Bao Ni
Genres: Historical Fiction
Part of Book Series: N/A
Summary: In order to help their chief find a wife, the bandits kidnapped a woman from the bottom of the mountain in order to offer her up to him. The chief of the mountain stronghold, Lu Cang falls in love at first sight with the absolutely stunning beauty!
However, on the night of the consummation…
Post’s Author Opinion:
Note: This is a personal opinion, it does not reflect YaoiOtaku’s official position towards the novel.
Trigger Warnings: graphic rape, abuse, dysfunctional relationship.
What was good :
– learning more about Chinese history/culture. Of course, I understand it’s not exactly historically accurate, but I have still learnt surprisingly a lot of random things while reading this book. This just shows how little I know.
– antiheros as main characters. Either MC can hardly be called a good guy, and yet I ended up rooting for both of them.
– a very quick pace. I was never bored while reading this book, because so much was happening so quickly.
– manhua adaptation. It’s incomplete, but it was still fun to see what the characters looked like.
What was bad:
– some of the rape scenes were… really graphic. I could have lived without some certain details.
I enjoyed it, although it’s still not quite my thing. After reading the manhua, I knew what to expect going in, so neither rape nor abuse were a big shock for me. Any bad feelings I might have had about some of more graphic scenes were quickly replaced by other emotions, because the book is very fast-paced and you just can’t stop reading it.
What’s your opinion on Hua Hua You Long novel? Please let us know in the comments below.